By Karin Price Mueller | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
New Jersey was approved late Friday for an expanded $300 unemployment benefit created by President Donald Trump after Congress couldn’t agree on a new stimulus plan.
But that doesn’t mean the payments will reach unemployed residents any time soon.
It took Gov. Phil Murphy several weeks to decide to apply for the benefit, which was announced on Aug. 7. The state didn’t apply until Aug. 26, in part because of confusion over how the program would be implemented.
Because the funding comes from FEMA, federal rules don’t allow the state to use existing unemployment systems or employees to distribute the funds. That means it will take time before the state can process the payments.
Labor Commissioner Robert Asaro-Angelo said the payments probably won’t be distributed until October, and it will probably come as a lump sum rather than as a weekly payment.
“I know that’s not what someone wants to hear who wants their money now,” he said.
After its initial submission to the program, the Labor Department had to send FEMA some additional information, but the back-and-forth wouldn’t delay the approval process or the timeline, Labor Department spokeswoman Angela Delli-Santi said.
The $300 benefit is meant as a partial replacement for the expanded $600 weekly payment from the CARES Act coronavirus relief package, which expired at the end of July.
The Labor Department previously said not everyone will qualify for the benefit. Those receiving weekly benefits of less than $100 and those whose unemployment does not relate to COVID-19 won’t be eligible.
The state will first get three weeks of benefits for the weeks of Aug. 1, Aug. 8 and Aug. 15. It will have to apply weekly for more funding after that.
The program will continue until the FEMA Disaster Relief Fund, which funds the program and had a balance of $44 billion last week, runs out or until Congress passes a new unemployment extension.
Benefits are be retroactive to the week of Aug. 1.
A total of 1.54 million New Jerseyans have applied for unemployment benefits since the start of the coronavirus pandemic. So far, 1.35 million have qualified for benefits.
The state has paid out $14.7 billion since the middle of March, the Labor Department said.
NJ Human Services Unveils $25 Million Plan to Support Access to Mental Health & Addiction Services During the Pandemic
Initiative Calls for Reimbursing Safety Net Providers for COVID-19-Related Expenses to Help Them Remain Open and Accessible
(TRENTON) – Human Services Commissioner Carole Johnson today announced that the Department will use federal Coronavirus Relief Fund resources to provide up to $25 million to help mental health and substance use disorder providers remain open and accessible by reimbursing for the added costs they are incurring due to COVID-19. Eligible entities include the more than 250 providers who participate in Human Services’ Division of Mental Health and Addiction Services network that provide prevention, treatment and recovery supports to the uninsured and underinsured.
To provide services to New Jerseyans with mental health and substance use disorders, providers face new costs associated with complying with social distancing requirements, ensuring technology is available to facilitate access to services through telehealth, as well as additional costs for personal protective equipment (PPE), staffing and COVID testing needs. Residential treatment settings, outpatient and recovery clinics, opioid treatment programs, and other behavioral health providers are all facing these new, significant and unplanned expenses.
“Mental health and addiction services for some of the most vulnerable New Jerseyans are always a critical priority, but represent an acute need during the COVID-19 pandemic. Our safety net providers have worked hard to support individuals throughout this crisis but face increased costs to stay open and accessible as they work to comply with public health and safety guidelines,” Commissioner Johnson said. “Today, we are committing to help them manage these unexpected costs so that they can deliver critical services to those in need.”
Under the plan, eligible mental health and substance use disorder providers will be reimbursed for pandemic-related expenses dating from the Governor’s March 9th declaration of a public health emergency through December 20th. Allowable costs must be new expenses resulting from COVID-19 and must not have been previously budgeted.
Qualifying COVID-related expenditures include:
This new initiative builds on steps Human Services has taken throughout the pandemic to support mental health and addition services, including: